A registered psychologist in the province of Alberta, and trained as a scientist-practitioner, I have received a Master’s degree in experimental psychology and a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology. I believe that an effective psychotherapist needs to combine scientifically valid approaches (or the technique of therapy) with an intuitive understanding of the client (or the art of therapy).
A strong believer in research, education, and training, I am an assistant adjunct professor with the department of psychiatry at the University of Calgary, site Director for the Calgary Clinical Psychology Residency program at Alberta Health Services for the past five years and Clinical Supervisor and Instructor with the Department of Psychology at the University of Calgary. I have been the principle investigator in several funded studies, including a study on binge drinking funded by the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research grant and have been an expert reviewer for the journals of Behavior Therapy, Addiction, Addictive Behaviors, Journal of Behavioural Medicine, and Addiction Research and Theory.
I served as the senior psychologist at the Alberta Health Service’s Addiction Centre for nearly a decade, working with teens and their families struggling with concurrent disorders (addictions and other mental health concerns such as ADHD, anxiety, and depression, and contributed to research and program development and evaluation until September of 2012, when I resigned that post to dedicate my time fully to my private practice
I have been in private practice as owner and operator of Vakili Psychological Services, and OurTherapist helping adults, teens, and couples with variety of mental health concerns since 2005.
- Assistant Adjunct Professor, department of Psychiatry, University of Calgary
- Past Site Director for the Calgary Clinical Psychology Residency Program at Alberta health Services
- Clinical Supervisor and Instructor, Department of Psychology, University of Calgary
- Principle Investigator in several funded studies, including a study on binge drinking funded by the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research
- Expert peer reviewer for the journals of Behavior Therapy, Addiction,
- Addictive Behaviors, Journal of Behavioural Medicine, and Addiction Research and Theory
- Served as the Senior Psychologist at the Alberta health Service’s Addiction Centre for a decade, helping teens struggling with concurrent disorders (addictions and other mental health concerns) and their families
- Led program development and evaluation, research and training at the Addiction Centre until 2012, when I resigned to dedicate my time to serving patients in my private practice
I have been in private practice helping Adolescents, Adults, Families, and couples with a variety of concerns since 2005